- You Don’t have to go to the Fair Carmel Apples
- 1 (14 oz.) pkg. caramel candies, unwrapped OR, 1 (11 oz.) pkg. caramel bits
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 to 6 medium apples
- 5 to 6 Popsicle or craft sticks
- Wash apples, dry thoroughly, remove stems, insert sticks in stem end, and refrigerate.
- Put caramel bits or candies in medium microwave-safe bowl, add water, microwave on high for approx. 3 minutes until melted. Stop at 1 minute intervals to stir.*
- Place each apple into bowl of melted caramel, swirl around until coated, using a spoon to cover apple. Remove apple from caramel and let excess drip off, scraping excess from bottom with spoon.
- If desired, roll coated apple in chopped nuts, cookies, or candies. Press in with hands to help them set in the caramel.
- Place on greased waxed paper or aluminum foil and return to fridge to chill and set. If desired, drizzle chilled apples with melted chocolate.
- Return to fridge. Or, wrap each caramel apple in an individual bag, tie it, and store at room temperature. They will keep for several days.
To use the SLOW COOKER METHOD for melting the caramels: Select a heat tolerant bowl that will fit inside your slow cooker. Insert bowl into slow cooker; add caramel candies or bits and 2 tablespoons of water. Add hot tap water to the slow cooker filling the area outside of the glass bowl until the water level is even with the caramels in the bowl. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for approx. 2 hours, or until caramels are completely melted when stirred. To maintain melted consistency for 1-2 hours, lower slower cooker heat to warm setting. If caramel thickens as it sits, you may stir in more water as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time.