- Sister’s Homemade Basic Bread
|2 loaves 16 slices each||40 minutes|
- 2 packages active dry yeast 1/4 ounce each
- 2 cups warm water 105° to 115°
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
Servings: 16 slices each
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 12 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, covering with foil during last 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.