- Pizza with Mushrooms, Red Onion, Tomato and Basil
- This is a more traditional pizza with flavors that really blend well together. Roasting the mushrooms before you put them on your pizza really makes the difference in taste.
- Pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 Tsp. olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 Cup Spanish onion or yellow onion sliced
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic smashed or coarsely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes 14.5 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp. olive oil extra virgin
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms sliced
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 red onion sliced paper thin
- 10 red or yellow cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 fresh basil leaves torn
- Freshly grated parmesan as needed
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, season, and sweat, stirring frequently, until the onions are just starting to turn golden around the edges. Add the thyme and basil and allow to toast for 15 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, using a spoon or your hands to break up the flesh. Reduce the heat to low and allow the sauce to simmer until it has thickened considerably.
- Remove the thyme and basil sprigs and use a stick blender or food processor to puree the sauce until smooth. If your sauce is still too thin return to the heat and allow it to reduce to proper pizza sauce consistency.
- Roast your mushrooms in your wood oven.
- Preheat a skillet large enough to hold the mushrooms in a single layer. Add the olive oil to the pan; it should smoke. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and return to the oven. Do not stir your mushrooms for 2 minutes. You want your mushrooms to sear, and stirring too much or too soon is going to drop your heat, causing the mushrooms to start leaching out water and steaming. Roast the mushrooms, stirring once or twice, until they are golden brown and delicious, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To assemble your pizza, stretch or roll your dough using your preferred method.
- Top with a thin layer of sauce. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Top with the roasted mushrooms, halved cherry tomatoes and red onions.
- Give the whole pie a dusting of parmesan, then transfer to your wood oven and bake until done.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with the torn basil leaves.
- Portion as appropriate and consume as desired.