- Peppercorn Steak & Sauce
- 4 1 strip steaks (about 2 1⁄2 lbs. in all)
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups ruby port
- 2 cups quart beef stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup brine-cured green peppercorns rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- Season steaks with salt to taste on a plate, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove steaks from refrigerator and set aside at room temperature to let rest for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat steaks dry; add 2 to skillet. Cook, flipping once, until well browned and medium rare, 4–5 minutes in all. Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil; set aside in a warm oven. Repeat with remaining steaks.
- Remove skillet from heat and add shallots; stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add port; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until mixture is reduced to about 1⁄4 cup, 5–6 minutes. Add beef stock, boil until syrupy, 10–12 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; whisk in heavy cream. Return skillet to medium heat; boil gently until thickened, 6–8 minutes. Stir in peppercorns, vinegar, and salt to taste. Pour sauce over steaks.