- Lattice Apple Pie
- Make a Pie that looks like grandma made it and tastes like it too!
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|7 Servings||35 minutes||55 minutes||90 minutes|
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled green apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 - 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1 egg white beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, water, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one half slightly larger.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry.
- To make a lattice crust: Cut round into ½ inch strips. Place 6 strips across filling. Weave a cross-strip through center by first folding back every other strip going the other way. Continue weaving lattice, folding back alternate strips before adding each cross-strip, until lattice is complete. Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust over ends of strips, building up a high edge: seal and flute.
- Brush with milk and egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cover edge of pastry with 2-to 3 inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.