- Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps
- This is the popular Asian treat that is made as an appetizer or main dish with chicken and oyster sauce.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves (whichever you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon Low Sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Gluten free oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 packet Stevia
- Remaining Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 slice ginger minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 pound skinless meat from chicken breasts or sliced white chicken meat
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 can water chestnuts rinsed in warm running water and chopped
- 1 Stalk celery diced
- ¼ cup match stick carrots
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Wash the lettuce, dry, and separate the leaves. Set aside.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients. Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick frying pan on high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and green onions and fry until the garlic and ginger are aromatic. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the red pepper, water chestnuts, carrots and celery to the frying pan. Add the sauce ingredients and cook at medium heat, Give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick re-stir and add to the sauce, stirring to thicken. Add the chicken back into the wok along with the bean sprouts. Cook for 2 - 3 more minutes, stirring, to heat through and finish cooking the chicken.
- Lay out a lettuce leaf and spoon a heaping teaspoon of the chicken and vegetable/sauce mixture into the middle. The lettuce wraps are designed to be eaten "taco-style," with the lettuce/chicken mixture folded into a package. Continue with the remainder of the chicken and lettuce leaves. Serve.