- Spinach Fettuccine with Gorgonzola and Walnuts
- Chopped nuts are unusual in pasta, but they pair brilliantly with the earthy Gorgonzola in this creamy dish. Toasting the nuts deepens their flavor, so don’t skip this step.
- kosher salt
- 1/2 box spinach fettuccini or 6 oz
- 1/2 box regular fettuccini or 6 oz.
- 8 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves (10 lightly packed cups)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2-1/2 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1/2 cup freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh chives
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Put the spinach in a colander in the sink.
- Toast the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet in the oven until dark golden-brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook the fettuccini according to package directions. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta in the colander over the spinach.
- Put the cream, gorgonzola, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and a pinch of salt in a 12-inch nonstick skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the pasta and spinach, and 2 Tbs. each of the walnuts and chives. Cook, stirring constantly, until some of the sauce is absorbed by the pasta, about 2 minutes. If necessary, add some of the cooking water to moisten the pasta.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowls, sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tbs. walnuts and 1 Tbs. chives, and serve.