- Healthy Mapo Tofu
- So what is Mapo you are wondering… it is a traditional Chinese dish that is usually made with ground pork. This recipe uses ground turkey to cut down the saturated fat and calories plus I add in some extra veggies. It’s the best.
|4 Servings||30 minutes|
- 2 tablespoons Chile-garlic sauce
- 1½ tablespoons black bean-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups water plus 2 tablespoons divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 package water-packed soft tofu 14 to 16-ounce, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Whisk Chile-garlic sauce, black bean sauce, rice wine (or sherry), soy sauce and 1 1/4 cups water in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and mushrooms, peppers and cook, stirring and breaking up the turkey, until it is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Add scallions and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add the reserved sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in tofu and bean sprouts and cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Combine cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons water and add to the pan. Simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.