- Eudie’s Stuffed Bell Pepperson Top of Mashed Potatoes
- This is the absolute best thing you will EVER eat. This photo does not do it justice. But to be honest I do not have a photo of it so this will have to do. It is my favorite recipe of any. It is not a diet dish by any means but it is comfort food that is next to none. I grew up eating this recipe and I taught my daughter to make it and it is already my granddaughter’s favorite as well. It is a recipe handed down to my mom from her grandmother. I’d say as far back as 1850’s.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|20 minutes||60 minutes||80 minutes|
- 5-6 Red, Yellow and Green Bell Peppers
- 1 Quart Tomato Juice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dash sugar
- Quartered peeled potatoes
- Meat Balls
- 2 lbs. Ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 cup instant uncooked rice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. mustard powder
- 3/4 cup catsup
- 1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
- 3/4 cup chopped small onions
- 1 cup Crushed Ritz Crackers
- 3/4 cup minced carrots (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. herb blend spice
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper
- Rinse off bell peppers and cut off the tops and clean out the insides. Place them in a tall cooking pot and boil them for 5 minutes. Then take them off heat rinse and cool and set aside.
- Make the meatballs by putting all of the meatball ingredients together into a big bowl and with your hands knead them all together. If the mixture seems dry add another egg. If it seems too moist add some more rice or ritz crackers. Then pat them with your hands into balls about 3” round. Take 5 of the balls and put them inside of the cooled bell peppers.
- In a large tall pot put the large quart can of tomato juice, large can of whole tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, dash of sugar and salt onto the stove. Bring to boil.
- Place the meat balls and bell peppers into the boiling sauce and turn down cover and simmer for 1 hour. Prop the lid a bit off so some air can come in.
- Stir ever15 minutes. After 1 hour mix the milk and four with your fork into a cup and pour into the sauce so it thickens. If it does not thicken then add another one until it gets to a gravy thickness.
- When you put the thickener in then put your quartered, peeled potatoes in a separate pan with water and bring to a boil for 20 minutes. When they are done take them off the burner, add milk and mash them with a mixer.
- With a large ladle dip a bell pepper and tomato mixture onto the top of the mash potatoes and serve. Bon appetite!