- Crabby Until Eaten Cakes
- This is my mom’s recipe from her mom’s grandmother so it is from the late 1800’s. It is much different than most peach cobbler recipes and is eaten with milk over the top with brown sugar topping and served warm. But I loved it so much that instead of a birthday cake I would always ask for Peach Cobbler.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|4-5 servings||20 minutes||40 minutes||60 minutes|
- 2 Cups Canned sliced peaches drained (Can use fresh ones but add more sugar)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Tsp. salt
- 1/2 Cup Peach Juice
- 1 Cup Sifted Flour
- 1 ½ Tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup Canned Crisco
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- Grease inside of baking glass dish size approx. 9” X 12”
- Put peaches in the dish and sprinkle cornstarch over the top of fruit.
- In a bowl combine sugar, salt and peach juice and pour over the fruit in the backing dish.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together.
- Cut the canned Crisco into the sifted flour mixture with a hand held wired masher (those old fashioned ones. It has several blades on it and is in a U shape and you hold onto the top of it and mash things)
- Then take a fork and stir it into soft dough.Drop spoonfuls onto the top of the peaches and sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Bake on 375 degree for 40-45 minutes. When browned take out and cool a bit.
- Serve warm in a bowl and top with milk to taste. Sprinkle the top with brown sugar.