- Bacon & Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- This is totally not a diet dish, and is defiantly a comfort food that will leave you comfortable for days. If you are one of those who says “If I am going to gain weight, it better be worth it” This is worth it!
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|6-8 servings||15 minutes||55 minutes||70 minutes|
- 5 medium baking potatoes peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 12 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 garlic cloves minced (large cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded (6 oz.)
- Cook potato slices, covered, in boiling water to cover for 5 minutes; drain well.
- Place the potato slices in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the bacon and green onion and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat and add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add half-and-half and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Add the minced garlic, bag leaf, salt, celery seed, black pepper, and cheddar cheese, stirring until the cheese melts.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the reserved potato slices.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the top is lightly browned.
- Let cool some and serve.